Thursday 5 July 2012

I love my hair


Hello ladies, even gents J I would just like to raise an issue that is talked about a lot in society especially within black women, that issue/topic is hair. I think hair is lovely, we can do all sorts of things to it, put more on, take some off, add colour, curls, straighten and so forth. However, when does it come to a point that your hair is so different than how you started, you don’t even know what you look like anymore? This article is going to address the over-use of weave in modern day society and try to figure out why so many people (women) hide their beauty under a head of Brazilian/Columbian/Indian/Peruvian hair. Now don’t get me wrong, I’ve seen some lovely weaves and hair styles but let’s not over do it. Recently I had a 14inch curly looking weave thing going on, everyone was like ‘oh you look so nice’, and yes the hair did look good but it was frustrating me. Why? Because 1) when I looked in the mirror, it didn’t really look like me. 2) I missed my hair, the look feel touch, everything about it. So it makes me wonder when women have weave after weave after weave with no break, if they are bald or what’s really going on. I’ve heard that Brazilian hair is about £75 pound a packet and if you buy two that’s about £150 quid, then hairdressers, that’s £200 pound to wear someone else’s hair to look like someone else. Clearly this is an issue that needs to be addressed. 1st I’m going to put it out there: Ladies you are beautiful, don’t let no magazine fool you, no man or whoever tell you otherwise. Weave in or not, this will not change. However, some people are using this hair as a tool to boost self-confidence, therefore never truly being confident to themselves. Fair dos, you see Beyonce with her wigs, weaves, whatever, but chances are when she gets off stage whatever, she takes that shit off and gives her head and neck a break from that heavy load she’s carrying up there. I am not saying wearing weaves is a bad thing because it’s nice to change the look sometimes different styles, maybe you want your hair to grow, so many reasons. But when you become dependent on having someone else’s hair on your head, it’s time to check the inner self and inner love. For example, if I said to you there will never be any weave in production after today, what would you do? Some women would possibly be on the verge on suicide. So come on ladies, especially black ladies, show the world how beautiful you are without a weave, hair straightened or not. Don’t let your hair and other images in society define you. Also I would like to add, men, especially black men, stop contradicting yourself! I see and hear so many men saying they don’t like weave, perm, bla bla bla. Yet! They only date or say they only date women with long/straight/non-afro hair. Men, get it together! Now I’m not telling the ladies to let themselves go and be having a jungle of whatever on their head-top, I’m just saying you don’t need a weave to be beautiful and it’s nice to see women with their own hair and men should appreciate women more as they naturally are rather than whatever the media has conjured up for them. (I am living proof of this, as when I have my natural hair, black men don’t really want to know, most times, as soon as I get that 12inch (whatever name brand) weave sewn it, it’s like my name is man magnet dot com.). So ladies, to conclude, I’m not saying to ditch the weave but love your hair & know your beautiful no matter what J

2 comments:

  1. I think its always good to have a change so i think having a weave every now and then is cool for a bit oof variety. But if you're wearing a certain kinda weave all the time and that becomes you and you cant live without it then maybe then thats when it becomes a problem. Cuz if you always wear weaves and extensions and dont actually look after your real hair then your real hair wont grow and you'll be wearing weaves forever and not cuz you want to but cuz u have to and thats never a good position to be in

    ReplyDelete